Veteran Resources

At Hospice of Davidson County, we value the brave men and women from our community who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.

If you are a Veteran, we want you to know just how much your willingness to serve is appreciated!

As a community service to those who served and their families, we have assembled a variety of resources on this page for helping you locate a number of healthcare, financial, and caregiver resources that may be available to you.

The Mission of Hospice of Davidson County & We Honor Veterans is to:
Deliver Stellar Veteran-Centric Care with Every Veteran Encounter.

Aid & Attendance

  • The veteran must have served a minimum of 90 days of active duty. One of those days must be during a period of war:
    • World War II – 12/7/41 – 12/31/46
    • Korean Conflict – 6/27/50 – 1/31/55
    • Vietnam Era – 8/5/64 through 5/7/75; also Veterans who served in county in Vietnam, 2/28/61 – 8/5/1964
  • The veteran must have received a discharge from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable.

One of the following conditions must be met:

  • The need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) – bathing, dressing transferring to and from bed, toileting and medication management, etc. OR
  • The claimant is legally blind or nearly blind, OR
  • A significant medical diagnosis by a doctor (A VA Form 21-2680 is attached for your doctor to document your medical conditions.)
  • The VA compares the relationship between a claimant’s income (Social Security, pension(s), and all other income) against the veteran’s medical expenses (assisted living, home care, skilled nursing, adult day, and health insurance premiums).
  • If the claimant spends all of their income on countable medical expenses, they should be entitled to a monthly income from the Department of Veterans Affairs. If the claimant spends a portion of their income on care-related medical expenses, they may be eligible for a partial benefit from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • The VA looks at every claim individually and makes a net worth determination based on the facts and circumstances of the case. The VA will not consider you for pension if you have combined assets in excess of $129,000 (not counting your home of residence) or property in excess of two acres which can be sold to meet your financial obligations.
  • Net worth is based on a combined household income. If the veteran is married, the spouse’s income and assets are also included.
  • Assets include but are not limited to savings, checking, 401k, Roth funds, CDs, mutual funds, etc.

The VA look back rule, also referred to as a look back period, establishes a period of 36-months (3 years) in which the VA “looks back” on all asset transfers made for less than they are worth.

  • Military separation or discharge papers (DD-214 or other Discharge paperwork)
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate(If you have had multiple marriages, you will need to provide information from each marriage – names, dates of marriage, locations, reasons marriage ended, dates ended, etc.)
  • Current Social Security Award Letter
  • Monthly Statement(s) from Private Pension Program(s)
  • Monthly Health Insurance Bill(s), as well as home care, assisted living, adult day care, or nursing home invoice if paid out-of-pocket and not reimbursed by a long-term care insurance policy, Medicaid, or other insurance programs
  • Physician Statement that provides detailed information about your diagnosis, current medical status, prognosis, ability to care for yourself, and need for assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs): VA FORM 21-2680
  • If you are in a nursing home, or a family member of a veteran in a nursing home, you also need a VA FORM 21-0779: Nursing Home Status Statement
  • In-Home Attendant Statement – If the veteran has someone being paid to come to the house and assist with the Activities of Daily Living, click here to complete and submit the correct form that must be completed.
  • Voided Check for direct deposit of the monthly payment.

The Veteran’s pension application is the most complicated application process that we deal with.
The Veteran Service Officer can assist with every step in the process.

Housing Assitance

No Veteran Should Be Without a Place to Call Home

Veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness—and their family members, friends, and supporters—can make the call to or chat online with the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans, where trained counselors are ready to talk confidentially 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. Click here to learn more, or here to call  877-4AID-VET (877-424-3838)

Veteran Caregiver Resources

Requesting Military Service Records

  • The National Archives should be your first step in locating the records you need, click here.
  • A new DD214 can be ordered by clicking here.
  • Access the Standard Form 180 by clicking here.
  • Fax expedite request forms to 314-801-0764 with a cover sheet explaining why this request should be pushed to the front.
    • Currently only processing an emergency request for the following reasons:
      • Death of the veteran who is now awaiting burial.
      • The veteran is terminal and is expected to die forthwith.
      • The veteran needs the DD214 to finalize and job application.
      • The veteran needs the DD214 to close on a real estate contract.

Hospice Care

We are grateful to everyone who has served in the Armed Forces. The sacrifices so many have made can never be measured, but we appreciate and are honored to provide care to anyone in need of end-of-life care. If you are a Veteran and would like to volunteer to help us with our veteran patients, please click here to learn more. Or, click here to see our brochure.

If you are a Veteran with an end-of-life diagnosis, or you are the caregiver of a Veteran in need of Hospice care, please contact us to see how we may be of service to you.